OK, so tomorrow morning marks the official start of 365 New Music Project: Year 2 – so I thought I’d take the opportunity to say a few words about 2015 and run down some of my favourite things of the year.
It’s been an awesome year for movies, so here are my favourites (in no particular order). Bear in mind these are only the ones that I’ve seen, so there are probably many more deserving additions that could be included here.
- Star Wars – The Force Awakens (thank you for not being awful)
- Inside Out
- It Follows
- Mad Max: Fury Road (OMFG, what an amazing ride)
- The Martian
- Shaun The Sheep
- What We Do In The Shadows
- Spy (easily the best movie Jason Statham has appeared in for the past 5 years)
- Jupiter Ascending (bite me. It was amazing)
- Crimson Peak
And the most disappointing.
- Age of Ultron (could – and should – have been so much more)
- Jurassic World
- Terminator Genisys
- Pitch Perfect 2
Thankfully I’ve steered clear of too many turkeys. Guess that’s the beauty of having a toddler in tow; you have to pick your choices carefully.
Too varied to properly list, but among the albums I’ve been most impressed with this year are Fabian Holland’s A Day Like Tomorrow, India Electric Co’s The Girl I Left Behind Me and Gaz Brookfield’s True & Fast. Also well worth checking out are Ryan Adams’ cover of Taylor Swift’s 1989, Frank Turner’s return to form with Positive Songs For Negative People and the brilliant folk album Tomorrow Will Follow Today by Kathryn Roberts and Sean Lakeman. All fantastic.